Carpet and rug cleaning has always been a chore for many people. Many of them tend to get it over with by hiring an expensive professional company that will clean it at their convenience. However, most people don’t know that they can do the job themselves on their schedule. They need to work around certain guidelines that will ensure that they are doing everything right, so they won’t have to worry about costly carpet cleaners in the future.
1. Vacuum the rug, especially the portions you’re planning to shampoo. This will ensure that your carpet is free of loose dirt and other particles that the cleaning solution could easily dissolve.
2. Mix 1/3 cup of borax soap flakes with 2 gallons of warm water in a bucket before adding it to your shampoo machine. The amount of soap should make enough washing agent for around 5 or 6 empty buckets, so if you only have one bucket available, choose another application method. Do not attempt to clean your entire carpet with just 1 gallon of water mixed with a little borax.
3. Pour a half-bucket of the cleaning solution over your rug and start scrubbing it with a push broom or mop, using as much pressure as you can without damaging your carpet’s fibers. Keep doing this until the soap turns brown from being absorbed by the carpet. Then, move to another area of your rug and repeat until all soapy water is removed – do not allow soap foams to dry! Rinse off remaining suds with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner.
4. Mix 1 cup laundry detergent per 3 gallons of warm water in a bucket and wash the surface of your carpet with this cleaning solution using a push broom or mop. Rinse with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner and repeat the process as many times as necessary to get rid of any excess soap – once again, do not allow suds to dry.
5. Invest in a steam cleaner. A steam cleaner is a great investment if you save time and energy while still achieving the best results. These machines are very powerful and safe for your carpets. This way, it will be possible to deep clean upholstery without any chemicals or detergents which might ruin them. When added with high pressure from the machine, a small amount of water will make your carpet dry in no time at all! Keep in mind that it’s better to use distilled water with this device since tap water contains minerals that can damage the fibers of your carpet. If necessary, you can read the instructions that came with your appliance carefully for more information on how much water you should add.
6. If you have pets, keep their nails short. Pets can be dangerous for your carpets if you don’t act right away. Their claws are sharp, and if they scratch the fibers of your carpet, it will ruin it completely. Besides that, the pet’s nails can pull out a part of the pile to look very lumpy. Make sure to cut their nails every 3 to 4 weeks so they won’t hurt your carpet. Remember not to cut too much because this could also lead to damage. Be aware that if you don’t do it by yourself, there’s a high chance that your dog or cat will resist and run away when you try. If this happens, bring them to a groomer and ask them to do it.
7. Once your carpet is free of all visible stains and suds, wipe it down with a wet sponge to remove any leftover detergent and let it air-dry for about 30 minutes before fluffing its fibers and letting it dry in the sun for an hour or two.
8. Get rid of carpet the stains. For this, we’ll need some white vinegar and old cloth. If you’ve ever dealt with a stain before, you will know that it can often feel like they multiply or spread while you clean them up. This is because the cleaning product you’re using can spread the stain around (even if you didn’t realize it). The solution is to use white vinegar. Mix some vinegar with warm water and pour it on top of your carpet. Then, scrub the area with an old cloth. This should take care of most stains.
Cleaning your carpet is not as simple as grabbing a bottle of detergent and scrubbing away, which is why many people will bring in professionals to do it for them. But before you call up that local cleaning service, read these tips on how to clean carpets and rugs the right way.