Federal Officials Announce $90M Medicaid Fraud Indictments in Minnesota
Federal officials announce charges against 15 people for allegedly stealing $90 million from Minnesota Medicaid programs serving homeless, disabled, and autistic children.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA β Top Trump administration officials announced 15 federal indictments Thursday in what they described as the largest Medicaid fraud case ever prosecuted in Minnesota, involving $90 million stolen from programs serving the state’s most vulnerable populations.
Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. led the announcement at the federal courthouse in downtown Minneapolis, joined by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz, U.S. Attorney for Minnesota Daniel Rosen, and other federal and state law enforcement officials.
“We’re going to protect these programs and protect vulnerable children and restore integrity to the American health care system,” Kennedy said during the press conference.
Scope of Alleged Fraud
The 15 individuals face charges for allegedly stealing approximately $90 million across seven Medicaid programs designed to assist homeless people, children with autism, and disabled individuals. Officials characterized the scheme as targeting the state’s most vulnerable residents.
“These disabled individuals were used like lottery tickets by these defendants to generate millions of dollars, which these defendants used to expand their real estate holdings, purchase luxury vehicles, and splurge on expensive jewelry,” said Colin McDonald, assistant attorney general for the National Fraud Enforcement Division.
Federal Response and New Resources
McDonald also announced the expansion of the Midwest Healthcare Strike Force team with additional prosecutors stationed in Minnesota. The Justice Department will create a new Medicaid strike force team comprising 15 attorneys to combat fraud across the country.
The announcements come amid significant personnel changes at the Department of Justice in Minnesota, which has experienced a wave of resignations among career prosecutors. Former assistant U.S. Attorney Joe Thompson, who previously oversaw the sprawling investigation into social service fraud in Minnesota, was among those who resigned.
According to the Ohio Capital Journal, the resignations were driven partly by the politicization of the Justice Department under President Donald Trump and its handling of Operation Metro Surge.
Ongoing Investigation
Officials at the press conference did not provide specific details about the defendants’ names or other particulars of the case. The indictments represent federal authorities’ continued focus on healthcare fraud cases targeting government assistance programs.
The case highlights ongoing concerns about fraud within Medicaid programs nationwide, as federal officials work to protect billions in taxpayer dollars allocated for healthcare assistance to vulnerable populations.


